Friday 22 March 2013

I stole this from Tumblr.

'There’s this issue you’re not allowed to discuss: that women are needy. Men can go for longer, more happily, without women. That’s the truth. We don’t, as little boys, play at being married - we try to avoid it for as long as possible. Meanwhile women are out there hunting for husbands.' Steven Moffat


I want you to know how much of a fan of Steven Moffat I am. Today I was excited for a full half an hour solid because its a week until the new Doctor Who. Sherlock fan fiction in my (not very)guilty pleasure. You have no fucking clue how much Rose's original exit from '10' (David Tennant's era) made an emotional impact on me. I have several theories about Clara being Jenny and if you know what I'm talking about you will also spend the next two hours googling into that theory. It goes a long way, a long way that is full of lemon slash and 'literature' (those inverted commas are sarcastic) that involves a lot of calling a vagina a 'sex' and a clitoris a 'nub'. WHAT THE HELL IS A NUB 14 YEAR OLD GIRLS WHO'S PARENTS BETTER NOT FIND OUT WHAT THEIR HOBBY IS?! The idea of Sherlock being mere months away and the tweet that Mark Gatiss leaked of the first episode's title make me want to stab people in excitement. The speech that Martin Freeman makes at the end of The Reichenbach Fall can make me cry literally by watching gifs. I'm not sure I could watch a bad re-edited with different music YouTube video of that speech without weeping. It is the The Notebook of speeches. I'm pretty sure my cirvix fell out when Sherlock fell from that building.

I'm getting over excited.

What I'm talking about is the pedestal that Steven Moffat is on for me. I have no comprehendible thoughts to convey my anger, hurt and disappointment toward the above quote. I have never found anything about his writing that was outwardly sexist or outwardly feminist. I really like that in a writer. I don't like to feel pandered to like 'girl power' being said to me by women who follow their husbands round department stores like silent butlers. Yes, that is too specific to have not happened to me in the last 3 days.

The overwhelming cuntiness, false understanding and patronising vitriol makes me feel like I've been punched in the face by The Little Mermaid. I thought this man was a genius, that he is so clever and creative and brilliant and didn't write women who die at a pivotal moment in the plot or just fall in love with a man and then follow him around for 90 minutes. Or worse follow a man around for 90 minutes and then fall in love with him, that one is weird. He creates beautiful characters that aren't better because their men or better because their women they're just better - than everyone else. HOW THE FUCK does he do this but also think that?

I can be needy. I can seem like I'm hunting for a man. But I've met far far more men who are obsessed with having and keeping a girlfriend and being predatory towards girls just because they're there. When you start a question 'Women….' you are immediately making a generalisation or assumption based on someone being a woman. AND THATS SEXISM FOLKS.

K

No comments:

Post a Comment